Skip to main content

May 20, 2019 from Mom

Hi my sweet boy!  Well, my heart is heavy because a missionary from Ft. Worth died this week.  He was serving in Mexico City which I think might be Calvin's mission.  I think he died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.  Ugh.  So very heart breaking.  So, all I can think of this week, is please be so careful!  Be smart.

The good part of the weekend was Isaac's homecoming talk!  He did such a great job.  He talked a little about the Core 4 and how you were all kinda "punks" four years ago and how great it is to see how each of you have served a valiant mission and how much you've each grown.  The High Councilman that spoke after him said he thought you 4 should start a boy band called the Celestial Punks:)  LOL.  I sent some pics of the day to you. Isaac and Nate are going to Hawaii.  Apparently Nate has been writing a girl/friend of Isaac's from school his entire mission.  They have been facetiming since he's been home and so now he is going out to meet her.  Hmmmm.  Sounds interesting.

I hope you're having a great week!  How did your Family home Evening go? Did Cristiano like it and feel the spirit? What did president teach about? Have you had many opportunities to teach this week? Tell me all about it.

I finished Seminary!!!  Im actually going to miss my class so much.  They were a phenomenal group! I really loved teaching church history and D&C although I was dreading it.  My testimony of Joseph Smith is much stronger and I have such a deep love and respect for the early members of the church that had such tremendous struggles and sorrow.  

Abby and I are doing great with our eating and workout program.  I'm really proud of her!  She is working out 4-5 times each week... hard workouts each time.  She is gaining muscle for sure and looking good!  It has been fun to do this workout together.  I only have the twice per week option which I still really love.  

I have a great spiritual thought I wanted to share with you.  In Come Follow Me we learned about the Prodigal son last week.  Here are some insights on that.  I love it because you can see Heavenly Father and the Savior all throughout the story.  Tell me what you think.

When the prodigal son returned home,
Emaciated, penniless, and humiliated,
His father “saw him, and had compassion, and ran” to him.
The fact that he ran is significant.
In this time period and culture, elderly men never ran.
It was both unusual and humiliating for the father,
A wealthy man with a high social status and many servants,
Someone who was esteemed in his community,
To run to his wayward son.
A son who had demanded his inheritance while his father was still healthy,
Essentially telling his father, “You’re dead to me,”
As he left the Holy Land to gamble and waste the money in a pagan country.
So why would the father run to meet his son?
Why not just wait for his son to come to his door?
There was a ceremony in ancient Jewish culture called the kezazah
Or the “cutting off.”
It was performed when a Jewish man left his community
lived with Gentiles,
and lost his wealth.
When he returns to his hometown,
The wayward man would go to the city gates
And the villagers would gather
And break a pot at his feet
Symbolizing the broken relationship between the community and the sinner.
The man would be officially cut off from his faith,
His community,
His family.
So when the father ran to his son while the boy was still “yet a great way off,”
He ran to save his son
From the shame of the kezazah,
And from being symbolically broken off from his people and God.
His father put him the best robe,
Put a ring on his finger,
Fed him the fatted calf,
And threw him a feast.
The whole village would have gathered for the event
And the son would have been publicly restored.
Jesus Christ does not wait for us to come to the gate.
He runs out to us.
He saves us from being broken away from our families.
He brings us in,
And covers us with His matchless Grace,
However undeserving we may be.
Written by Sarah Keenan

I love you sweet son of mine!  Have an incredible week.  I can't wait to talk with you.  Muuuaaaahh! 

Infinity plus infinity and even more than that!

mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 19, 2018 from Gray

its ok mom. just sad and confused. but i know the lord has a plan. just dont understand why it had to happen this way.  she is dating someone i think. he kinda looks like me lol except he has huge ears. your right. its just time to turn a corner. no matter how hard that is. im gonna write her a letter today just telling her how i feel and be done with it. im being transferred. I will go to Jardim Simos and be with an elder I dont know. I will be the senior companion which is really cool. Hes a brazilian, just finished his traning, and has about only 3 months on the mission. Im so glad and relieved. i was just ready to leave aguiar. he is just a difficult person sometimes.  love you mom.  yeah that sounds really difficult and probably something that would be really hard to do at the mission office haha. ok thank you for looking it up.  I love you so freaking much mom! You are my hero! Sorry that it has to be all annoying like this. I will defini...

October 7, 2018 from Mom

Good morning my sweet boy! How was your week? I’m hoping there were some baptisms and the people followed through on their commitments:) Did you love conference? One of my favorite things about it was how I knew we were sitting there doing the exact same thing at the same time! That was comforting to me. I absolutely loved it! If you didn’t get a chance to watch the women’s broadcast you should try. I will send you an Ensign conference edition when it gets here so you can read all the talks again and study them. I feel like I received many personal messages from the talks. So many of them focused on our ability to stay faithful and receive comfort during trials... not one minute of our suffering is wasted. It is all for our good and our growth. That was one of the messages that I took away and feel strengthened by.  I also felt a recommitment to strengthening my conversion. That also seemed to be a theme of conference. Are we living the gospel by going through the motions and check...

February 19, 2018 from Kevin

Hey buddy!    I’m glad I finally get a chance to sit down and write. Baby stuff has taken over my life but we are very excited to have Harper with us in the next few weeks. Excited for you to meet your new little cousin when you return. Sounds like you are doing really well! I know you’ve had minor struggles and home sickness along the way, but it’s good to see you pumped and positive. Sounds like you’re doing a great job!     Hey listen, I know everyone has chimed in on the girl situation and you’re probably tired of talking about it at this point, but I wanted to try to talk to you about it as well because I’ve had the unwelcome pleasure of going through 3 life changing heart breaks that I never thought I’d recover from so I can speak to you from experience and hopefully put some perspective on things.     I had been with Alicia for 5 years, we were in love but it was more than that. It was how the family loved her, how much I loved her family and ...